~# 2017 Hak4Kidz GRR Activities
Time to get your #H4K on with these educational activities:
- Workshops - Learn to collect bug bounties on Web Apps! (details below)
- jrCTF online - bring a laptop cause to earn the most points and win prizes...find the flags!
- Artemis starship bridge simulator game - Team and confidence building exercises while having fun
- Locksport - a wildly popular activity! Introduction to ethical lock-picking for sport only
- Safe and Secure Online - An (ISC)² member's way to educate the most vulnerable members of society, our children
- Snap Circuits - Award winning electrical engineering maker toy
- STEHM - An activity station devoted to STEHM learning
- Hackware Hacking Station - Open soldering stations for all levels!
- Technology Destruction Village - disassemble old electronics without getting "grounded".
Please check back regularly for updates.
~# 2017 Workshops
Workshops are a great way to explore a science, technology, engineering and/or math (STEHM) disciplines deeper than at an Activity Station.
We encourage each Tyro (novice learner) to take a workshop while at Hak4Kidz GRR. Workshops will take up a good part of their day so plan your haktivies accordingly.
Workshop registration requires complete Tyro registration for the general admission Hak4Kidz GRR event. An additional fee may apply for workshops with materials you take home.
~# Web Hacking Exposed: Death Star Edition *** OPEN ***Workshop registration
Web Hacking Exposed: Baeth Star Edition abstract
For this workshop a laptop is required. Please refer to the Workshop Requirements below.Workshop registration
When the Rebel Alliance stood bravely against the Galactic Empire and the Death Star, they knew they needed to find a weakness in the system to gain leverage, and hopefully bring them down. They tried different methods of infiltrating the planet destroyer, but caught a break when they managed to find the one vulnerability that would lead to the Death Star's ultimate demise.
Much like the Rebel Alliance trying to find vulnerabilities, professional ethical hackers look for weaknesses in systems, and applications. They then dig deep to find a way to gain access to files or systems that should have otherwise been protected. Just like the Death Star, one weakness is all the bad guys need to gain that tactical advantage. What if the Death Star had a pen tester to find that weakness beforehand?
In this workshop, TrustedSec Sr. Security Consultant Brent White will give you an introduction into the world of ethical hacking web apps. You'll learn about ethical hacking, introduction of how websites work along with the common vulnerabilities that are found. You'll then cover common tools and techniques used to exploit those vulnerabilities.
~## About the Instructor
Brent White come to Hak4Kidz excited to be a part of our efforts to promote a positive learning environment while working on introducing Tyros to web app security.
Brent White is a Sr. Security Consultant at TrustedSec. He is the founding member of the Nashville DEF CON group (DC615) and is also a supervisor for the DEF CON conference “Groups” program. He has held the role of Web/Project Manager and IT Security Director at the headquarters of a global franchise company, as well as, Web Manager and information security positions for multiple television personalities and television shows on The Travel Channel.
He has also been interviewed on the popular web series, “Hak5” with Darren Kitchen, BBC News, and on Microsoft’s “Roadtrip Nation” television series. Brent has also spoken at numerous security conferences, including DEF CON, DerbyCon, ISSA International, SaintCon, PhreakNic, SkyDogCon, NolaCon, various B-Sides conferences, Techno Security & Forensics Con, TakeDownCon, Appalachian Institute of Digital Evidence (AIDE) conference at Marshall University, and more.
~## Workshop Requirements
Tyros (students) will need to bring the following:
- Download and test the lab OWASP Vulnerable Web App virtual machine file
- Working Laptop with Windows 7 or higher, Mac OS X, or Linux installed
- Laptops must have a Wireless network adapter
- VMware player must also be installed on the laptop
- A base installation of Kali Linux installed and ready to go!